Stratus Technologies appeared on my radar many years ago at a Rockwell event showing a robust, redundant, secure server meant for industrial applications. These days in IT circles the conversation is all about the edge. And Stratus has some edge solutions to accompany its server strategy.
Its most recent news includes enhancements to its ztC Edge computing platform with the release of Stratus Redundant Linux (SRL) version 2.2 and a preview of a new, comprehensive edge systems management solution, ztC Advisor. These enhancements enable optimal infrastructure performance, utilization, and faster time-to-value to ensure simple, protected, and autonomous business operations.
Stratus Redundant Linux 2.2, ztC Edge’s core operating system, features an enhanced application interface, REST API, that provides more information via the web about ztC Edge’s virtual machines (VMs) and their current state. This capability allows teams to remotely optimize infrastructure performance and utilization. SRL 2.2 also includes additional software and security updates.
ztC Advisor: Comprehensive Remote Systems Management
With ztC Advisor, Stratus introduces a new edge systems management solution to simplify centralized monitoring and management of a customer’s entire ztC Edge computing infrastructure. The new solution offers a secure web-based portal that anyone in operations or IT can use to quickly and easily view the health and utilization of their entire ztC Edge inventory, remotely triage issues, improve productivity, and mitigate risk.
“These ztC Edge platform enhancements, including the introduction of ztC Advisor, represent our continued investment in edge innovation as well as our commitment to deliver simple, protected, and autonomous zero-touch Edge Computing solutions,” said Jason Andersen, Vice President of Business Line Management at Stratus. “With ztC Advisor, we are simplifying how customers manage their fleet of ztC Edge platforms – and they don’t need to be operations or IT experts. Customers point to the availability of comprehensive edge management tools and dashboards that anyone can use as critical to their success.”
Released as a preview, ztC Advisor’s first features include:
- A comprehensive asset management overview of all ztC Edge platforms owned by a customer, including systems that have been deployed but have not been provisioned. The overview makes it easier for administrators to holistically maximize resource utilization and optimize their hardware refresh and software patching schedules.
- A centralized dashboard view of individual system status and resource utilization presented in real-time, enabling administrators to easily see platform status at-a-glance.
- User-defined groups for customers to assign individual systems to groups and use the ztC Advisor dashboard’s built-in sorting and filtering functions to quickly access information from specific platforms.
- Secure-push technology between ztC Advisor and ztC Edge. The web-based solution is architected so that ztC Edge platforms initiate sessions and periodically push information to ztC Advisor which minimizes cyber-security risk by limiting data transfer.
- Integration with Stratus Service Portal and ztC Edge platforms, allowing customers with portal access to use their same credentials to access ztC Advisor. One-click enablement from the ztC Edge Console automatically sets up the corresponding ztC Edge platform to be visible and present data through ztC Advisor, minimizing setup and configuration time.
ztC Advisor and its remote system monitoring capabilities are compatible with ztC Edge platforms running SRL 2.2, and build on updates to ztC Edge platforms released early last year, that address customers’ most pressing needs for enhanced security, monitoring and performance at the edge.